Wednesday 24 February 2010

Acquaintances, old and new


I've just noticed that there is someone new following my blog. Welcome in Breadgirl! Breadgirl's blog is about a Welsh saint, David Lewis, who was martyred in the 17th Century. He reminds me a lot of Blessed William Tirry, an Augustinian priest who was martyred during the Penal times here in Ireland. Just being a priest was an offence punishable by death. Fr Tirry was arrested wearing his vestments, about to say Mass in Fethard, Co Tipperary (that's a picture of the lovely town- we used to live there). He is probably buried under the Augustinian Church in Fethard. The locals brought back his body after he was martyred in nearby Clonmel.
I must tell you more about him when it isn't quite so late. Like David Lewis he deserves to be better known.

3 comments:

breadgirl said...

Hello Kee

What a lovely welcome! Thank you so much! I hope you will tell us more about Fr Tirry. St David Lewis was also arrested as he was preparing to celebrate Holy Mass - on Sunday morning, 17th November 1678. We owe those brave priests so very much don't we. I will be waiting to learn more about Fr Tirry, so keep us posted. Thanks again and God bless you.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Breadgirl has a well researched and informative Blog.

I look forward to reading about Fr William Tirry.

God bless.

kee said...

Hello Victor and Breadgirl. I would have put up a picture of Fr Tirry in my column of saints by now, but I can't find a good one of him. I think we have a line drawing of him somewhere...