Tuesday 29 November 2011

Martha Tuesday


Just coming to the end of another busy Tuesday here. It only occurred to me today that it is appropriate for me that Tuesday is the day earmarked for the novena to St Martha, because they have been very full and hectic the last couple of weeks and Martha is remembered for being that wan in da Bible who was really consumed with her domestic tasks, so much so that she neglected to spend time listening to Jesus.

The Novena prayer and the little candle that I light reminds me to pray. It can be so easy to lose sight of what is really important, especially at this time of year.

Here is the prayer in case you'd like to join in:


I ask you St Martha, by your intercession to help me in overcoming my difficulties and to teach me to become great in the Kingdom of Heaven by becoming as humble as you in this world.

O St Martha, I resort to you and to your petition and faith.
I offer up to you this light which I shall burn every Tuesday for nine Tuesdays.
Comfort me in all my difficulties through the great favour you enjoyed when our Saviour lodged in your house.
I beseech you to have definite pity in regard to the favour I ask (mention it).
Intercede for my family that we may always be provided for in all our necessities.
I ask you St Martha to overcome the dragon which you cast at your feet.

Say one Our Father and three Hail Marys and light a candle every Tuesday (and tell other people about it;)


No comments: